AAGIS is proud to offer a $1,000 scholarship to a deserving student this year! Please see the information below for details.
What is the Scholarship?
Alamo Area GIS Scholarship has been created to:
- Encourage the goals of students and professionals who are working toward their undergraduate or graduate degree in a geospatial science.
- Promote and support the increase of knowledge and proficiency of geospatial sciences in the Alamo Area.
- Recognize and encourage scholastic and professional accomplishments in the geospatial sciences.
How is the Scholarship Funded?
The Alamo Area GIS Scholarship is funded by the proceeds from sponsorships to San Antonio GIS Day from local businesses and entities in the community.
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
- A scholarship of $1000 will be awarded.
- The scholarship will be presented in the form of a check to the recipient.
- Complimentary registration to the inaugural Alamo Area GIS Professional Conference on September 20, 2018 will be provided.
How will the recipients be selected?
The scholarship recipients will be selected by the AAGIS officers. Selection will be based on merit and meeting eligibility requirements as outlined in the application. Scholarships will only be awarded if applicants are deemed worthy by the AAGIS officers.
When will the scholarships be awarded?
The application deadline is Wednesday, August 1, 2018. Recipients will be notified by September 4, 2018.
How will the scholarships be presented?
Scholarships will be presented to recipients during the lunch hour at the Alamo Area GIS Professional Conference on September 20, 2018.
How do I apply?
Submit a complete application to AAGIS by August 1, 2018.
A complete application includes:
- Application form
- Transcript of current undergraduate or graduate educational courses (PDF).
- Confirmation letter from Department Chair of enrollment in a geospatial related program at a recognized university, community college, or technical institution in the Alamo Area.
- One letter of recommendation by a faculty member on official letterhead.
- A one page statement (single-spaced) from the student outlining specific education and professional goals and outstanding accomplishments.
- All documents must be received in one email in order to be considered.
- Applicant must be a registered student, in good standing, in a recognized university, community college, or technical institute in the Alamo Area. The Alamo Area includes the following counties: Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, Wilson, Atascosa, Medina, Bandera, Kendall, Hays.
- Applicant must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant must be enrolled in a course of study in the field of geospatial sciences for the Fall 2018
- Applicant may not be a past recipient.
Applicants must include a Scholarship Application Form which can be found on the following page. Only applicants who meet ALL REQUIREMENTS will be considered. Questions will only be answered via email: firstname.lastname@example.org